Treatment of automobile injuries has been a focus of my continuing education and if you have been involved in an automobile accident there are some important things you need to know:
1. Automobile insurance pays for 100% of reasonable and necessary chiropractic treatment and receiving treatment for an auto injury will not affect your insurance rates.
2. It is very likely that vertebrae are forced out of alignment through a trauma such as a motor vehicle accident. Unless these misalignments are identified and treated correctly, your body will have a difficult time healing.
3. Chiropractic is effective in the treatment of 93% of automobile injury cases according to a recent study and provides the best long-term outcomes for the treatment of even neck and lower back disc herniations. Chiropractic is also much safer than most medical options for these types of injuries.
4. The longer you delay treatment, the poorer your long-term outcome will be. Taking pain medications or muscle relaxants only covers the symptoms but does nothing to correct the underlying problem. Scar tissue begins to form in the muscles and ligaments shortly after injury occurs making treatment more difficult as time goes by. Furthermore, untreated spinal injuries can result in early arthritic changes and chronic pain. Seek proper treatment as soon as possible after an injury occurs.
5. Serious spinal injuries are common in rear-end collisions as slow as 4 mph according to several recent studies. Even if your impact seemed minimal, there is potential for serious injury. If you continue to notice persistent symptoms in the days and weeks following a collision, get your spine checked immediately. The most common words I hear in my office are, "I thought it would just go away on its own."
6. Not all Chiropractors are the same. Make sure that you consult with a Chiropractor with expertise and experience in treating auto injuries.
7. Choose someone with relationships with other specialists. I work closely with a team of healthcare professionals, (neurologists, orthopedists, massage therapists, acupuncturist, exercise physiologist, etc. ) to address all aspects of patient care.
If you have questions or just want to talk with someone experienced in the treatment and management of automobile injuries, please call my office to schedule a FREE consultation. In the case of automobile injuries, what you don't know can hurt you.